Transfer of Credit

  • Transfer Credit for Work at Other Colleges and Universities
    Students who enroll at Prince George’s Community College after completing one or more semesters at another college or university may be eligible to receive credit toward their community college degree without regard to the age of the prior credits. The following guidelines apply:

    • The student must request an evaluation by completing a Request for Transfer Evaluation form available from the Admissions and Records Office or at any extension center. The student must clearly indicate the curriculum to which the incoming credits are to be applied and all institutions from which transcripts will be coming.
    • The student must arrange to have official transcripts from United States colleges previously attended sent to the Admissions and Records Office. No evaluation of transfer credits will be done until official transcripts are received from each source from which credits are to be transferred. Transcripts should be mailed to Prince George’s Community College, Transfer Evaluator, 301 Largo Road, Largo, MD 20774.
    • Transcripts from colleges and universities outside the United States must be sent to a college-recognized evaluation service such as World Education Service for translation and credit recommendations. Call 301-322-0820 for more information.
    • All credits earned previously with passing grades are transferable provided they are applicable to the student’s program of study at PGCC. However, the overall grade-point average for the courses transferred must be at least 2.00.
    Note: No grade below a C will transfer from any out-of-state institution when the student’s cumulative GPA at that institution was below a 2.00. PGCC will honor waivers of required courses by the sending institution due to the student’s demonstrated proficiency, but an equal number of credits must be earned in other coursework.

    Credit for Nontraditional Learning: Work and Military Experience
    A maximum of 30 college credits may be awarded for various educational and training activities conducted by such noncollegiate organizations as the military, businesses and government agencies, and proprietary schools. In general, the college conforms to the credit recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE), which has undertaken the evaluation of noncollegiate learning experiences available through industry and various government agencies as published in The National Guide, available through ACE. The college also will grant credit for military training that has been evaluated by the Office of Educational Credit and Credentials of ACE. For further information or assistance, contact the Admissions and Records Office, 301-322-0820.

    Credit for Military Training
    To receive credit for military training, students must complete the Request for Transfer Evaluation form, attach a copy of the DD-214 and have military transcripts (AARTS, SMARTS, CCAF) sent to the Admissions and Records Office.
    Note: Students receiving veterans educational benefits are required by the Department of Veterans Affairs to do this before the end of their second semester of attendance to avoid interruption of benefit payments.

    Credit through Examination and Other Information
    For more information about Transfer Credit, Credit By Examiniation, Placement Testing, and other related topics.