The need for a security status is prevalent in all industries. All occupational specialties require employers to have a pool of potential employees who have the ability to meet and pass the challenges of rigorous background checks or security clearance screening processes.
This course is developed by Prince George's Community College's Cyber Pathways Across Maryland (CPAM) grant, a grant designed to promote cyber security awareness among 14 different colleges and eventually across Maryland.
This course will prepare students to navigate the delicate and often complex process of seeking, obtaining, and maintaining a security clearance and background and checks. Emphasis will be placed on how to recognize, identify, and avoid actions and behaviors that hinder the process. It is designed for those seeking employment with the federal government or for the intelligence community; diplomatic and other government agencies; law enforcement; and the health care industry.
As a result of this course students will:
- Describe the purpose, types and benefits of a security clearance and background checks
- Identify components of the application process: questionnaires, forms, fingerprint, background check, interview
- Complete and critique data from the security clearance application form
- Describe the transferability of various security clearances
- Evaluate the implications of personal lifestyle choices on the security clearance process
- Evaluate the implications of you and your family’s personal associations (including online) on the security clearance process
- Examine how an individual’s personal behavior (including online) can impact the polygraph process
The course is open to students in Cybersecurity or Information Technology Programs
Students must be 18 years or older to register
Introduction to Security Clearance and Background Checks
5 Sessions - Tuition free
Spring 2018 Schedule
- 32571- Fridays, PGCC Largo 01/26/18-02/23/18 6:00p.m-9:00p.m CAT-212
- 32572- Wednesdays, PGCC Largo 01/31/18-02/28/18 6:00p.m-9:00p.m CAT-TBA
- 32573- Mondays, PGCC Largo 02/05/18-03/19/18 6:00p.m-9:00p.m CAT-TBA
For more information:
Call 301-546-0746 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to register
To learn more about Cyber Pathways Across Maryland grant click here
"This workforce product was funded by grant #TC-26466-14-60-A-24, awarded by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Employment and Training Administration. The product was created by the grantee and does not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Labor. The U.S. Department of Labor makes no guarantees, warranties, or assurances of any kind, express or implied, with respect to such information, including any information on linked sites and including, but not limited to, accuracy of the information or its completeness, timeliness, usefulness, adequacy, continued availability, or ownership.”