HR-218 The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act LEOSA is a program specifically geared for eligible retired law enforcement officers. This program provides attendees with the required classroom instruction and firearms qualification. Upon completion of training and submission of required documents, attendees are provided with a LEOSA identification card. Cost of training for county residents is $82 for one weapon and $102 for two weapons. Additional fees for out of county residents will apply. Cost includes ammunition for .38 and 9mm firearms. Classes held monthly.
In order to qualify the attendee must meet the following criteria:
- Be retired from a local, state or federal law enforcement agency.
- had statutory powers of arrest
- was authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or the incarceration of any person for any violation of law.
- has separated in good standing with a government agency as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of ten years or more or
- separated from such agency due to a service connected disability after completing any applicable probationary period of service.
- meets the standards established by the agency which require the employees to regularly qualify in the use of the firearm.
- is not prohibited by federal law from possessing a firearm.
Must be a Maryland resident
Demonstrate proficiency and accuracy with firearms.