The field of criminal justice encompasses law enforcement, investigations, court and administrative services, corrections, private security and juvenile justice. Each area requires individuals who can speak and write well and who can work well with colleagues and the community. The individuals need to be skilled in management, investigative techniques, analysis of data and critical thinking. Students who choose one of the following programs develop these abilities and are prepared for successful careers in a variety of positions in federal, state and local law enforcement agencies as police, corrections or security officers or a number of administrative positions. The A.A. degree option readily transfers to four-year colleges and universities that offer a bachelor's degree in criminal justice. The A.A.S. degree prepares students to directly enter the workforce and also satisfies most of the requirements for transfer to four-year institutions. Prince George's Community College has a partnership with the Prince George's County Police Department. Graduates who complete their training at the county's Police Academy may receive up to eighteen college credits toward their associate degree when they enroll at the college.
Learning Foundations Overall Requirements
- All students must read English at an acceptable level in order to begin college-level courses. The college assesses two levels of reading proficiency as shown below. Both must be satisfied in order to enroll in college-level classes.
- Meet a basic reading standard by placement exam score, by taking DVR-0051 or ESL-0105, or by exemption due to prior college coursework.
- Meet college-level reading standards by placement exam score, by taking DVR-0061 DVR-0071 or ESL-0106, or by exemption as a result of prior college coursework.
- The college assesses English writing proficiency at three levels as a prerequisite to enrollment in EGL-1010, the first college-level writing course. Those three levels are outlined below.
- Meet the minimum English proficiency requirement by placement exam score, by completing DVE-0009 or ESL-0102 or by exemption as a result of prior coursework.
- Meet intermediate level English proficiency requirements by placement exam score, by completing DVE-0011 or ESL-0201, or by exemption as a result of prior coursework.
- Meet pre-college level English requirements by placement exam score, by completing EGL-0100 or ESL-0202, or by exemption as a result of prior coursework.
- All students must satisfy the college's requirement for a solid foundation in mathematics. Students can document this foundation either with satisfactory placement test scores, with an exemption posted as a result of courses taken elsewhere, or with satisfactory performance in one or more developmental mathematics courses. In addition, all students must complete either PAS-1010 or PAS-1030 along with their first developmental math course.
- Meet the most basic arithmetic requirement by completing DLS-0011 or a satisfactory score on the placement test.
- Meet prealgebra requirements by completing DVM-0031 or with a satisfactory placement test score.
- Meet elementary algebra requirements by completing DVM-0071 or achieving a satisfactory placement score.
- Meet intermediate algebra requirements by completing MAT-0104 or by achieving a satisfactory placment test score.
- Complete either PAS-1010 or PAS-1030 in the same semester you take DVM-0031.
General Education - English Composition
General Education - Mathematics
General Education - Science
- Complete one science course (3-4 credits) from BIO-1010,1020,1080,1100,1110,1130,1140,2050,2060,2100; CHM-1010,1020; GEO-1010; HRT-1010; NTR-1010,1100; PHY-1010,1020,1030,1570; PSC-1010,1050,1070,1150,1200,1210.
General Education - Social Sciences
General Education - Information Technology
Criminal Justice (A.A.S.)
- Complete the 9 required CJT courses.
- Complete 3 credit hours from the following: CAP-1310; CJT-1540, 1620, 1700, 1730, 1740, 2560, 2910, 2920, 2930; COR-1510, 1530, 2510, 2530; FOS-2500, 2600, 2610; Any Paralegal (PAR) course except PAR-2910, 2920, 2930; SPN-1010; INT-1620, 1700; BMT-2860 or PSY-2120, 2130.