This is the recommended program of study for students planning to pursue a B.S. in Food Science at the University of Maryland College Park(UMCP). Working closely with the department chair and Advising is strongly recommended in order to meet UMCP's CORE requirements.
Learning Foundations Overall Requirements
- All students must read English at an acceptable level in order to begin college-level courses. The college assesses two levels of reading proficiency as shown below. Both must be satisfied in order to enroll in college-level classes.
- Meet a basic reading standard by placement exam score, by taking DVR-0051 or ESL-0105, or by exemption due to prior college coursework.
- Meet college-level reading standards by placement exam score, by taking DVR-0061 DVR-0071 or ESL-0106, or by exemption as a result of prior college coursework.
- The college assesses English writing proficiency at three levels as a prerequisite to enrollment in EGL-1010, the first college-level writing course. Those three levels are outlined below.
- Meet the minimum English proficiency requirement by placement exam score, by completing DVE-0009 or ESL-0102 or by exemption as a result of prior coursework.
- Meet intermediate level English proficiency requirements by placement exam score, by completing DVE-0011 or ESL-0201, or by exemption as a result of prior coursework.
- Meet pre-college level English requirements by placement exam score, by completing EGL-0100 or ESL-0202, or by exemption as a result of prior coursework.
- All students must satisfy the college's requirement for a solid foundation in mathematics. Students can document this foundation either with satisfactory placement test scores, with an exemption posted as a result of courses taken elsewhere, or with satisfactory performance in one or more developmental mathematics courses. In addition, all students must complete either PAS-1010 or PAS-1030 along with their first developmental math course.
- Meet the most basic arithmetic requirement by completing DLS-0011 or a satisfactory score on the placement test.
- Meet prealgebra requirements by completing DVM-0031 or with a satisfactory placement test score.
- Meet elementary algebra requirements by completing DVM-0071 or achieving a satisfactory placement score.
- Meet intermediate algebra requirements by completing MAT-0104 or by achieving a satisfactory placment test score.
- You must take PAS-1030 during the same semester you take DVM-0031.
General Education - English Composition
General Education - Humanities Speech
General Education-Humanities Group 2 AA/AS
General Education - Mathematics
General Education - Social Sciences
- Take PSY-1010 In addition, complete one History course. Select from HST-1310, 1320, 1370, 1410, 1430, 1510, 1530, 2160, 2230, 2470.
- COMPLETE ONE GENERAL EDUCATION HISTORY COURSE
Science Requirement for Food Science
General Education - Information Technology
18 Credits At the 2000 Level
- You must take at least 18 credits of 2000-level courses in order to graduate in this program. Courses listed below count toward that requirement.