This is a flexible certificate that, with the exception of English 1010, allows students to take the general education courses of their choice. When students complete the certificate, they have achieved college sophomore standing and have earned credits that will transfer to many four-year institutions.
Learning Foundations Overall Requirements
- All students must read English at an acceptable level in order to begin college-level courses. The college assesses two levels of reading proficiency as shown below. Both must be satisfied in order to enroll in college-level classes.
- Meet a basic reading standard by placement exam score, by taking DVR-0051 or ESL-0105, or by exemption due to prior college coursework.
- Meet college-level reading standards by placement exam score, by taking DVR-0061 DVR-0071 or ESL-0106, or by exemption as a result of prior college coursework.
- The college assesses English writing proficiency at three levels as a prerequisite to enrollment in EGL-1010, the first college-level writing course. Those three levels are outlined below.
- Meet the minimum English proficiency requirement by placement exam score, by completing DVE-0009 or ESL-0102 or by exemption as a result of prior coursework.
- Meet intermediate level English proficiency requirements by placement exam score, by completing DVE-0011 or ESL-0201, or by exemption as a result of prior coursework.
- Meet pre-college level English requirements by placement exam score, by completing EGL-0100 or ESL-0202, or by exemption as a result of prior coursework.
- All students must satisfy the college's requirement for a solid foundation in mathematics. Students can document this foundation either with satisfactory placement test scores, with an exemption posted as a result of courses taken elsewhere, or with satisfactory performance in one or more developmental mathematics courses. In addition, all students must complete either PAS-1010 or PAS-1030 along with their first developmental math course.
- Meet the most basic arithmetic requirement by completing DLS-0011 or a satisfactory score on the placement test.
- Meet prealgebra requirements by completing DVM-0031 or with a satisfactory placement test score.
- Meet elementary algebra requirements by completing DVM-0071 or achieving a satisfactory placement score.
- Meet intermediate algebra requirements by completing MAT-0104 or by achieving a satisfactory placment test score.
- Complete either PAS-1010 or PAS-1030 in the same semester you take DVM-0031.
Transfer Studies (Certificate)
- Complete EGL-1010 and a second EGL composition course--EGL-1020, 1100, 1320 or 1340. EGL-1020 is recommended.
- COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING COURSE:
- COMPLETE EGL-1020, EGL-1100, EGL-1320, OR EGL-1340:
- Complete 2 courses in Humanities for a total of 6 credits. Select from ART-1010, 2700, 2710, 2720, 2730; Any 2000-level EGL literature course (except EGL-2150, 2160, 2270 and 2890); Any foreign language course; MUS-1010, 1050; PHL-1010, 1090, SPH-1010, 1050, 1090, 1110.
- Complete three courses in the Social Sciences for a total of 9 credits. Select from: ANT-1010, 1030; ECN-1010, 1030, 1040; GEO-1000, 1010; HST-1310, 1320, 1370, 1410, 1430, 1510, 1530 2160, 2230, 2470; POS-1000, 1010, 1020; PSY-1010, 2010, 2030, 2040, 2070, 2080, 2130, 2190; SOC-1010, 2010 and WMS-1010.
- Complete MAT-1120 or a higher level mathematics course.
- Complete one science course for 3 or 4 credits. Select from: BIO-1010, 1020, 1080, 1100, 1110, 1130, 1140, 2050, 2060, 2100; CHM-1010, 1020; GEO-1010; HRT-1010; NTR-1010, 1100; PHY-1010, 1020, 1030, 1570; PSC-1010, 1050, 1070, 1150, 1200, or 1210.
- Complete 3 credit hours of elective courses. Courses can be at either the 1000 or 2000 level. PED courses may not be used to fulfill this requirement.