The Police Academy is certified by the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission. You will be trained in law enforcement operations and functions, including firearms training, emergency vehicle operations and first aid.
To qualify, candidates must meet these minimum requirements:
- be at least 21 years old
- be a United States citizen
- be a high school graduate or hold a GED recognized by the state of Maryland
- be of good moral character and have a police record clear of felony or serious misdemeanor convictions
- have a driving record with no more than 3 points and no serious or repeated traffic offenses
- pass a physical examination and a drug screening
- authorize a complete background investigation
In addition candidates must be able to:
- attend the entire 25 week program..
- successfully complete all aspects of the program
Upon successful completion, you will be eligible to be fully certified as a police officer in Maryland, and 18 credit hours may be applied toward an academic degree.
Tuition: $4,700 (includes background investigation fee). Uniforms are provided.
Financial aid is available to qualified applicants.
The academy is approved for veterans benefits.