Partial Dropping or Withdrawal from Classes

Students may withdraw from a class up until the published withdrawal deadline. This may be done online or in person. Students should determine the impact of a withdrawal from one or more courses on financial aid prior to completing the withdrawal, especially in cases where the withdrawal will result in a change from full-time to half-time status or from half-time to less-than-half-time status.

The college recommends that any student withdrawing from all classes for a given semester meet with an advisor to discuss options prior to processing the withdrawal. Students may not continue to attend any course from which they have withdrawn. Students should check their schedules in Owl Link 24 hours after withdrawing from a class to make certain the withdrawal was processed. Students who withdraw in person also should keep their copy of the withdrawal form until they can see that the grade of W has been recorded.

The last day to withdraw from a full-semester class is shown in the schedule of classes each semester and is normally at the end of the twelfth week of the semester. Students enrolled in classes that end earlier than the traditional length courses or that meet for a shorter period of time should ask the instructor for the withdrawal deadline. No student may withdraw after a course has ended or after an NA grade has been submitted by the instructor. The official withdrawal date is the date the Office of Admissions and Records receives the proper, signed withdrawal form or the date the withdrawal is successfully completed in Owl Link.

Students who follow this withdrawal procedure will receive a grade of W. A grade of W has no impact on the student’s grade point average (GPA) but does count as one attempt at the course.

Financial Aid Refund Policy for Complete Withdrawal from the College

Federal regulations require that when students withdraw from the college or stop attending classes during a payment period (such as a semester) that the amount of the federal student financial assistance received be adjusted to the amount that has been “earned” up to the point the student withdraws or stops attending classes. The amount of assistance earned is determined based on the portion of the payment period that the student completed. For example, if a student withdraws from the college after attending 30 percent of the semester, they have “earned” 30 percent of their financial aid. If the student has received less than the aid “earned”, the funds are released; if the student has received more than the aid “earned”, the excess funds must be returned. Once the student has completed 60 percent or more of the payment period, they have “earned” all of the assistance awarded.

If the student must return funds, the funds are returned to the financial aid programs in the following order: Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, Federal Direct Subsidized Loan, Federal PLUS Loan Program, Federal Pell Grant and Federal SEOG.

Over Awards

Students may not receive more federal student financial assistance than they “need.” Students who receive federal financial aid awards in excess of their financial need will have their assistance adjusted or reduced until they are no longer receiving an overaward. The student is responsible for repayment to the college of the over¬awarded amount. Students should also be aware that they cannot receive federal financial aid at two institutions which they may be simultaneously attending during the same semester.