This is a recommended program of study for students planning to pursue a bachelor's degree with the goal of teaching physics at the secondary level.
Learning Foundations Overall Requirements
- All students must read English at an acceptable level in order to begin college-level courses. The college assesses two levels of reading proficiency as shown below. Both must be satisfied in order to enroll in college-level classes.
- Meet a basic reading standard by placement exam score, by taking DVR-0051 or ESL-0105, or by exemption due to prior college coursework.
- Meet college-level reading standards by placement exam score, by taking DVR-0061 DVR-0071 or ESL-0106, or by exemption as a result of prior college coursework.
- The college assesses English writing proficiency at three levels as a prerequisite to enrollment in EGL-1010, the first college-level writing course. Those three levels are outlined below.
- Meet the minimum English proficiency requirement by placement exam score, by completing DVE-0009 or ESL-0102 or by exemption as a result of prior coursework.
- Meet intermediate level English proficiency requirements by placement exam score, by completing DVE-0011 or ESL-0201, or by exemption as a result of prior coursework.
- Meet pre-college level English requirements by placement exam score, by completing EGL-0100 or ESL-0202, or by exemption as a result of prior coursework.
- All students must satisfy the college's requirement for a solid foundation in mathematics. Students can document this foundation either with satisfactory placement test scores, with an exemption posted as a result of courses taken elsewhere, or with satisfactory performance in one or more developmental mathematics courses. In addition, all students must complete either PAS-1010 or PAS-1030 along with their first developmental math course.
- Meet the most basic arithmetic requirement by completing DLS-0011 or a satisfactory score on the placement test.
- Meet prealgebra requirements by completing DVM-0031 or with a satisfactory placement test score.
- Meet elementary algebra requirements by completing DVM-0071 or achieving a satisfactory placement score.
- Meet intermediate algebra requirements by completing MAT-0104 or by achieving a satisfactory placment test score.
- You must take PAS-1030 during the same semester you take DVM-0031.
General Education - English Composition
General Education - Humanities Art
General Education - Interpersonal Communication
General Education - Social Sciences
- Complete PSY-1010, one general education HST course and one non-HST social science general education course.
- COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING COURSE:
- COMPLETE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING HISTORY COURSES: HST-1310, HST-1320, HST-1370, HST-1410, HST-1430, HST-1510 HST-1530 HST-2160, HST-2230, OR HST-2470:
- COMPLETE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING COURSES: ANT-1010, ANT-1030, ECN-1010, ECN-1030, ECN-1040, GEO-1000, GEO-1010, POS-1000, POS-1010, POS-1020, PSY-2010, PSY-2030, PSY-2040, PSY-2070, PSY-2080, PSY-2130, PSY-2190, SOC-1010, SOC-2010 or WMS-1010:
Teaching Physics (Secondary A.A.T.)