Constantly changing airfares and schedules, thousands of available vacation packages, and a vast amount of travel information on the Internet can make travel planning frustrating and time-consuming. To sort out the many travel options, tourists and business people often turn to travel agents, who assess their needs and help them make the best possible travel arrangements. Also, many major cruise lines, resorts, and specialty travel groups use travel agents to promote travel packages to millions of people every year.

In general, travel agents give advice on destinations and arrange for transportation, hotel accommodations, car rentals, tours, and recreation. They also may advise on weather conditions, restaurants, tourist attractions, and recreation. For international travel, agents also provide information on customs regulations, required papers (passports, visas, and certificates of vaccination), and currency exchange rates.

Travel Career Development

The Travel and Tourism Certificate program requires students to achieve 32 hours (CEUs.) This package course is design for travel planners, owners, and agents, independent contractors that seek knowledge about IATAN or CLIA qualifications to practice as a travel agent.

The topics listed in the course description will enable you to master selling skills, basic geography. Learn how to close a sell and how to profit from sells. We will factor in tours to potential vendors, agencies and hotels.

This is a pre-requisite two-part series program. A letter of recognition and certificate is awarded upon completion of 32 hours total in this series.

How to search for classes regarding Travel and Tourism

To search for course names and dates for the TVL classes:

  • Go to the College website: 
  • Log into Owl Link and click on Workforce Development & Cont. Ed. Student
  • Proceed to: Search Cont. Ed. Classes
  • Go to the course code number option
  • Type in TVL to gain course name(s), meeting information, location, start and end dates and cost
  • Hit 'ok' for next page

How to Register

To register for classes, students must first set up a student account, then proceed to Enroll and register for course(s). Students will need the TVL code to include the course number and Syn number for the dates and times you would like to attend.

Course Descriptions

Part I: Travel and Tourism

  • Getting into the Travel Business 
    • Travel Industry Basics
    • The hospitality industries which benefit from tourism include transportation services (such as airlines, cruise ships, trains, and taxicabs); hospitality services (such as accommodations, including hotels and resorts); and entertainment venues (such as amusement parks, restaurants, casinos, shopping malls, and music venues)
  • Destination Awareness
    • Geography for Travel Agents
  • Online/Internet Skills
    • Build Your Travel Business
    • What's the back of the house?
    • Overview of the qualifications needed for:
      • IATA
      • CLIA
  • Site visit: Six hours. CVBs, Hotel and port visit (Saturday only).

Part II: Travel and Tourism

  • Sales and Marketing Techniques for Travel
    • How to Advertise
  • Site visit: 6 hrs. CVBs, Hotel and port visit (Saturday only)
  • Package Your Own Tours and Cruises
    • Grow Your Cruise Business

(Requirements: Students must participate in site visits off campus. Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from site visits until further notice.)

Contact Information

Denise Ware-Jackson
Phone: 301-546-9050