Gain HR Knowledge, Skills, and Confidence
The SHRM Essentials of Human Resources is an introductory course offering a comprehensive overview of the key aspects of HR. It gives participants foundational knowledge and an introduction to the essential behavioral competencies for business success. This course is ideal for those new to the human resources profession or those looking for an effective way to boost their employee management skills.
Why Enroll in Our Course
Our course provides foundational HR knowledge and an introduction to behavioral competencies essential for business success.
This program is designed to benefit new or entry-level HR professionals and those for whom HR knowledge is vital, including: small business owners, office managers, representatives selling or supporting HR systems and services, international HR personnel wishing to increase their knowledge of U.S. HR practices, and job-seekers who are exploring HR.
Here's what you'll gain from our course:
- Foundational knowledge about recruiting, hiring, performance management, compensation, and their legal impact.
- Introduction to behavioral competencies to improve your judgment and decision-making.
- Tools and resources to improve your job performance.
Benefits of the Training
Benefits for employees
Through the SHRM Essentials of Human Resources course, participants will gain the following:
- Practical expertise that can immediately impact job performance.
- A strong foundation of HR knowledge and competencies to become a better business person.
- An understanding of the latest laws and regulations to help reduce the risk of costly litigation.
- Professional Development Credits (PDCs) or recertification credit hours and a certificate upon completion.
Benefits for employers
The SHRM Essentials of Human Resources course can help companies increase HR knowledge critical to overall business success. This program:
- Reduces the company’s risk of potential high-cost litigation.
- Promotes a consistent understanding of the HR function to non-Human Resources.
- Offers professional development for divisional or departmental supervisors to ensure HR compliance.
- Develops a common dictionary of HR terms for the entire organization.
- Enhances the importance of the HR function within the company.
Who Should Enroll
Designed as a thorough introduction to HR Basics, the SHRM Essentials of Human Resources course provides a solid foundation in human resource management and is effective training across multiple job responsibilities and career paths. This course is for:
- New and junior HR practitioners who need to increase their knowledge base.
- Small business owners or office managers who perform the HR function for their company and business managers who want to learn basic HR best practices to avoid costly litigation.
- New or experienced managers interested in learning more about employee management skills.
- Representatives selling or supporting HR systems and services.
- International HR personnel wishing to increase their knowledge of U.S. HR practices.
- Job seekers who are investigating HR as a new career option or want to enhance their resume with HR skills.
There are no eligibility requirements.
Course Details and Options
Prince George's Community College courses are specifically tailored to meet the needs of adult learners. Courses are taught by SHRM-certified instructors experienced in the HR field. Students will be expected to complete all assigned readings and activities before each class.
October 16 – November 20, 2023
Course Number: 03581
Time: 6–9 p.m.
$580 (includes a $245 lab fee to cover your training materials)
Classroom Sessions Include:
- Print Materials (Reference Book, Activities Book)
- Interactive Software
Interested in Training Your Team?
The Essentials Learning System includes six modules of study. The module content is embedded online, in e-reader format, and print.
- Human Resources: Gain a clear understanding of the HR function.
- Talent Acquisition: Develop important skills for attracting and selecting employees.
- Total Rewards: Learn the key elements of a total compensation system.
- Learning and Development: Obtain an understanding of orientation, development, and training.
- Performance Management: Discover the purpose and process for performance evaluation.
- Employment Law: Enhance your ability to apply key HR legislation.
For more information on SHRM-Recertification, click here.
Product or HR Information
SHRM Learning System