What is VSS?
The Vocational Support Services (VSS) is a campus resource for students who are seeking to earn an A.A.S. degree or a certificate within Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs. Such programs are designed to equip students with the theoretical knowledge needed to transition to their career field of study upon completion of the A.A.S. degree or certificate.
We believe that our success reflects the success of our students. Through our holistic approach of student development, we partner with students along their educational journey at Prince George's Community College to provide them with the tools, resources, skills and support that is needed to successfully achieve their academic, career, and personal/social goals.
What does VSS offer?
VSS offers an array of services and programming to support students' academic, career and personal/social development.
Goal Setting and Planning
What do you hope to accomplish as a Prince George's Community College Student? VSS will assist you in:
- Identifying your academic, career and personal goals
- Developing a realistic and achievable Individualized Success Plan
- Discovering and Applying strategies and resources for addressing any barriers to achieving your goals
How do you learn? What is the best way for you to make sense of the information that is taught? VSS will help you in:
- Understanding the way that you process and make meaning of information Identifying study methods to help you learn
- Approaching ways to learn in subject/content areas that are challenging to you
Study Skills and Workshops
What are effective ways to study? Can study methods for English also be applied to Math? VSS will provide assistance in:
- Applying "subject specific" study techniques
- Developing academic study plans
Course Selections and Progress Checks
What job/career will this major or certificate prepare you for? VSS will support you in:
- Developing an awareness of occupations that are associated with a major of study
- Being abreast of the trends, qualifications, and work environments of specific occupations
- Develop Career Plans to promote your career readiness upon graduation
What courses should you register for? How many classes do I need before I complete my program? VSS will assist you with:
- Developing a two-year course plan
- Creating a semester course schedule
- Accessing academic support early and serving as a liaison with your professors
What careers are compatible with your values, skills, interests and personality? VSS will:
- Conduct a Values Sort Inventory to identify your High Priority Values
- Interpret results from the Skills, Interests and Personality Inventories to design to increase your
understanding of SELF in relationship to careers
Resume and Portfolios
How do you showcase your qualifications to potential employers? VSS will provide guidance in:
- Decoding the job description and identifying the desired key skills
- Constructing a Professional Resume and Cover Letter
- Designing creative Portfolios and e-Portfolios
Interviewing Techniques and Simulated Interviews
What is the interview process? VSS will provide guidance on:
- Developing a Timeline for preparing for the interview
- Understanding the types of questions asked during the interview and knowing how to respond.
- Highlighting your qualifications in effective ways
- Preparing for an interview through industry- oriented live and recorded practice sessions
How can you can meet people who are working within your field of study? VSS will:
- Discuss the Art and benefits of Networking
- Assist you in identifying networking opportunities
- Connect you to on and off-campus resources to Network and engage in intern or externship experiences
Need help and don't know where to begin? Whether you are seeking information about scholarship opportunities or need individualized support to deal with a personal matter, VSS is a resource that can connect you to other services within Prince George's Community College.
Vocational Support Services
Lundi Carter; Jamila Corria
Lanham Hall, Suite 101A; Student Support Services
Monday–Friday: 8:30 a.m.– 4:30 p.m.