Prince George's Community College has established a student loan code of conduct that sets clear limits on the interactions that Prince George’s Community College and its employees may have with student loan lenders, servicers, and/or guarantors. It also ensures that college employees maintain the highest standards of administrative and academic integrity, and that they conduct themselves in an ethical and professional manner in their interactions with students and families.
Code of Ethics Policy
- “Preferred” lender lists and endorsements of lenders: Prince George’s Community College does not create, maintain, or distribute any listing of “preferred” or “recommended” education loan lenders/servicers, nor will PGCC staff endorse any particular education loan lender/servicer.
- Promotion of Education Loans: Prince George’s Community College does not engage in a “revenue sharing” arrangement with any student loan lender, servicer or guarantor, nor will it enter into any arrangement designed to promote the products, services, and/or public image of any student loan lender, servicer, or guarantor. This section does not prohibit the school from distributing informational materials in compliance with federal regulation 34 C.F.R. 682.200(b)(5)(ii).
- Non-Discrimination in Loan Certification: The Financial Aid Office will certify any private loan upon request for any eligible student through any participating lender, servicer, or guarantor. Financial Aid staff will neither favor nor discriminate against any particular student loan lender, servicer, or provider in giving counsel to student and parent borrowers. However, nothing in this policy shall be construed to prevent properly trained Financial Aid Office personnel from giving students and parents good counsel and frank answers to questions about loan costs, interest rates, fees, and payments to assist the borrower in making an educated loan product/lender choice.
- Prohibition Against Gifts: Neither PGCC nor any of its employees will accept any gift, gratuity, favor, discount, entertainment, hospitality, benefit, or any other item of more than a nominal value from any student loan lender, servicer, or guarantor, except as specifically permitted in federal regulation 34 C.F.R. 682.200(b)(5)(ii). Gifts to family members of PGCC employees are considered as a gift to the employee if the gift was given in relation to the position of the employee. Nothing in this section shall be construed as prohibiting PGCC employees from conducting normal banking business with a student loan lender or receiving discounts, premiums, or gifts that are available to the general public based upon that normal banking business.
- Contracting Arrangements/Advisory Groups: Financial aid employees or any other PGCC staff member who may have any responsibility with respect to educational loans may not accept from any student loan lender, servicer, or guarantor any type of fee, payment, or other financial benefit as compensation for consulting or other services provided on behalf of the lender in relation to educational loans. Nor shall any employee accept payment for services or reimbursement of expenses related to education lending advisory boards, focus groups, facility tours, or similar activities from any student loan lender, servicer, or guarantor.
- Staffing Assistance: Prince George’s Community College does not allow student loan lender, servicer, or guarantor staff to work in PGCC offices, nor will the college allow them to perform the work of school personnel in other locations. Further, PGCC does not permit any non-employee to identify him/herself as a PGCC employee.
Office of Student Financial Aid
Bladen Hall, Room 121
301 Largo Rd.
Largo, MD 20774
Guidelines and protocols
have been updated for
the fall 2022 semester.