We'll get you started with a class that can lead to a diploma, a new language, or maybe even a new career.
What Adult Education Means
Our Adult Education classes help you meet certain goals:
- Improve your basic skills in math, reading, and writing.
- Prepare to earn a Maryland high school diploma through the GED® test or the National External Diploma Program (NEDP).
- Improve your speaking and understanding of English in ESL classes.
If you want to take other classes or take a single class without earning a degree, you can apply as a visiting student.
How to Register for Adult Education Classes
You can register for Adult Education classes at several times during the year.
Before you begin, keep the following in mind:
- Registration is free.
- Registration and enrollment are on a first come, first served basis.
- You must register in person at the Adult Education Office. Online registration is not available.
- Registration includes placement testing. Class placement will depend on your placement test results.
Read to find out how to register for different types of classes.
Basic Skills and GED Preparation Classes
You must attend a two-part registration session on the college’s campus in Largo. Get more information on classes, dates, times, and locations for the next registration.
Adult Education ESL Classes
Go to the center where you want to take your class, on the registration date for that center. Get more information on dates and locations for classes and registration.
National External Diploma Program (NEDP)
You must attend an information and registration session, which will include screening tests in math and reading; you will also have to write a short essay.
These sessions are by appointment only; they are held at the college’s Hyattsville office. There is no charge for an appointment.
Get more information on the next registration session and on the NEDP.
Need Something Else?
We offer several application paths for different types of students at various stages of life.
Visit our How to Apply page to find the best application path for you.
For more information about registering for Adult Education classes, please call 301-546-0891 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about applying for the National External Diploma Program, please call 301-546-8350 or email email@example.com.
Start here if you have reviewed your application options and you're ready to apply.
Continue the steps through to registration.
Guidelines and protocols
have been updated for
the fall 2022 semester.