Do you want to earn a certificate and start a career?
The Career Pathways and Certificate Program ESL is for you if . . .
- You are an intermediate or advanced English language learner.
- You want to get an industry-recognized certificate in childcare, health care, culinary arts, or construction.
- You want to develop your English language skills for employment.
Classes are online and hybrid.
Read the information below or view the Career Pathways and Certificate classes flyer.
Description: Create a resume, practice interview skills, and learn about the American workplace, the health care system, government, and schools. Receive a certificate of completion.
- Childcare 1: Childhood Growth and Development.
- Childcare 1: Preschool-Aged Children.
- Childcare 2: School-Aged Children.
- Childcare 2: Infants and Toddlers.
- Childcare Family Business.
- Childcare Communication.
Description: Practice English and learn vocabulary and skills to work in a childcare facility or family childcare business. Students must complete these classes to work in a childcare facility or family childcare business in the State of Maryland. Receive six certificates from the Maryland State Department of Education’s Office of Child Care, one for each class.
Childcare Writing Portfolio
Description: Put together six writing statements and other resources to create a childcare portfolio book to prepare for a Childcare Development Associates Certificate.
Requirements: First, students must complete the six childcare classes listed above. Students must also be working at a childcare center.
Certified Nursing Assistant
Description: Practice English skills and learn vocabulary associated with nursing. Learn hands-on nursing skills and complete 40 hours of clinicals. Earn a Certified Nursing Assistant Certificate from the Maryland Board of Nursing.
Community Health Worker
Description: Learn English vocabulary associated with public health and learn to use listening and speaking skills to understand and explain public health information. Complete 40 hours of practicum. Earn a Community Health Worker Certificate from the Maryland Department of Public Health.
Culinary Arts and Baking
Description: Practice English and food safety skills, and learn to bake pastries, pizza, and more. Bake at home and with a chef in our Culinary Arts Center. Earn a ServSafe Manager Certificate.
Description: Practice English and food safety skills. Learn knife skills and how to cook sauces at home with a chef in our Culinary Arts Center. Earn a ServSafe Manager Certificate.
Core Construction Skills
Description: Learn English vocabulary related to construction and practice English skills. This class is an introduction to construction safety, math, hand and power tools, construction drawings, basic rigging, materials handling, employability, and communication skills. Earn a certificate from the National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER).
To register for this program, participants must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be a Maryland resident.
- Be eligible to work in the United States.
- Have a high school diploma.
- Have an intermediate or advanced level of English skills.
- Take a placement test.
If you are interested in these classes, click here to complete our interest form.
- ESL English in America | 9/21/2023-11/24/2023 | Tue, Thu
- ESL Bridge to Culinary Arts and Baking | 10/30/2023-12/18/2023 | Mon, Wed
- ESL Certified Nursing Assistant | 8/28/2023-12/18/2023 | Mon-Thu, Sat
- ESL Childcare 2: School Aged | 10/25/2023-2/21/2024 | Wed
- ESL Childcare Family Business/Communication | 10/26/2023-1/25/2024 | Thu
- ESL Childcare Portfolio | 9/22/2023-2/23/2024 | Fri
- ESL English in America | 11/16/2023-1/18/2024 | Tue, Thu
- ESL Baking | 1/22/2024-4/4/2024 | Mon, Tue, Wed
- ESL Childcare Childhood Growth and Development | 2/20/2024-3/21/2024 | Tue, Wed, Thu
- ESL Certified Nursing Assistant | 1/29/2024-5/13/2024 | Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Sat
- ESL Community Health Worker | 1/22/2024-5/18/2024 | Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu
- ESL English in America | TBD | Tue, Thu
- ESL Culinary Arts | 4/8/2024-6/18/2024 | Mon, Wed, Thu
- ESL Childcare 1: Preschool Aged | 4/2/2024-6/5/2024 | Tue, Wed
- ESL Childcare 2: Infants and Toddlers | 4/4/2024-6/25/2024 |Thu
- ESL Core Introductory Craft Skills | TBD
- ESL Childcare Portfolio | July-Nov | Fri
View our full 2023-2024 Class Schedule for ESL Career Pathways.